How to work with Drive
- Back up and share your files.
- Work from anywhere with Drive.
Store and search files in Drive
- Use Drive from Chrome or your computer.
- Try a search in Drive.
Share a file from Drive
- Set sharing permissions.
- Share a file from Drive.
Use G Suite with Microsoft documents
- Convert Microsoft Office documents to Google Docs.
- Edit a Microsoft document without converting it.
Work together on a doc in real time
- Create and share a Google Docs file.
- Work together on a shared document.
Work offline with Docs
- Install the Chrome Offline extension.
- Work and sync your Google Docs, Slides, and Sheets files.
Learn more at the G Suite Learning Center:
What’s the difference between Google Drive and Google Docs, Sheets, and
Google Drive is a place in the cloud where you can store your files and access them from other devices. Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides are web-based editors that allow you to create documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. Together, these tools are called Google Docs editors.
Can I transfer ownership of a Google Docs file to someone else, rather than share
You can change who owns files in Drive and transfer ownership to someone you’ve shared the file with. For example, you can create a document, making you the owner, and then share it with someone else and make them the owner. You can also do the reverse, for example, to retain the files of another user on your G Suite account who is leaving. When you transfer the ownership to someone else, you won’t be able to transfer it back or delete the file.
Learn more about how to transfer ownership of a Google Docs file.
How do Google Maps and
Drive work together?
You can save the Google My Maps you create (and those shared with you) in Google Drive and manage your maps like other documents. You can then share it with others. To create a new map, go to Drive, click New > More > Google My Maps. Then search for locations and add them to your map. To see your map again, go to mymaps.google.com.
Learn more about how to managing My Maps in Drive.
How do I use Google Photos
In Google Drive, you can see, store, and share all your files stored in Google Photos. Any edit you make from Drive (like deleting or moving a photo) will sync with Google Photos. Edits made to a photo from one device will appear on all the others.
To set up Google Photos in Drive:
- Click Settings > Settings.
- Scroll down and check the box next to Create a Google Photos folder.
- To see your Google Photos in Drive, from Drive, on the left menu, click Google Photos. Your photos and videos will sync to Drive.
use Drive to back up my data? What is Backup and Sync?
Backup and Sync is a speedy and reliable way of backing up your files. It replaces the need to download the Google Drive and Google Photos desktop applications, and is an easier way of getting your files to the cloud. You choose the folders you want to back up, and the rest is done for you. To install Backup and Sync, use the link below, then install the app on your computer. You can set your preferences for how you’d like to back up your files.
What can I do to
save storage space in Drive?
With G Suite Basic, you get 30 GB of storage space, shared among Drive, Gmail, and Google Photos. You can check how much storage you have left by going to google.com/settings/storage.
If you’re getting close to your storage limit, here’s what you can do:
- Empty your trash.
- Reduce the size of your images in Google Photos.
- On your computer, view (and possibly delete permanently) the files that take up the most space and delete them.
- Search for files larger than a certain size (for example, by typing larger:5M in the Gmail search bar) and possibly delete large files in Gmail.
- Upgrade to G Suite Business.
Are my files secure on Drive?
Files you upload to Drive are stored in Google’s secure data centers and its industry-leading cloud infrastructure. Your files are protected as if they were on their own server. They remain private, unless you choose to share them. Learn more about Google’s security FAQ.
What happens if I
delete files by accident?
If you’ve deleted a file and you want it back, you may be able to get it back. If you deleted a file, it will be in your trash, and it stays there until you empty it. To restore it from the trash, sign in to Drive. From the left-hand menu, click Trash. Find your file. At the top, click Restore.
- What if I’m having problems with Drive?